At one time Norwood was one of Warren County's most thriving towns. It is situated on the Georgia Railroad four miles from Camak, four miles from Warrenton and 121 miles southeast of Atlanta, Georgia.
During the War Between the States, Mr. Radford Gunn built a grist mill on the site now known as Norwood, but was then called Gunn's Mill. In 1884, Hon. T. E. Massengale, who represented Warren County in the legislature, presented a bill to incorporate the town. In 1888, while a member of the senate, he had the charter amended and the name changed to Norwood in honor of Hon. Thomas Norwood, a member of Congress from Savannah.
In the 1930's, the population of this thriving town was approximately 500. It had a Southern Express office and a Western Union Telegraph office in the depot. In addition to several general stores, there were two drug stores, a grist mill, a shoe shop, Baptist and Methodist churches, a flourishing Junior High School housed in a brick building, a bank owned by G. A. Ray and W. E. Ray with T. N. Ray as cashier, and a large brick cotton warehouse and gin operated by electricity.
Ray Banking Company closed in 1932, followed by the closing of the Southern Express office, and Western Union Telegraph office in 1957. These offices were located in the Georgia Railroad depot which was also closed. The Ray Cotton Gin closed in 1958.
The Norwood business section has decreased over the years and now has only one store and one filling station. The consensus is that this decline was brought about by the increase in the number of automobiles and paved highways. Highway 278 runs through the town and Interstate 20 is only three miles away. The two churches, Methodist and Baptist, are still very active in the community. Norwood is an incorporated town with a mayor and five councilmen. All the streets have been paved for several years. The population in 1974, was approximately 325, a decrease over the years because of no industry locating there, and the decrease of small farms. People had to seek employment elsewhere.
Rural Free Delivery
Norwood is proud of the origin of Rural Free Delivery. In 1868, six men hired Jerry Parsons, a Negro who could not read, to deliver and collect mail at their homes near Norwood, each day except Sundays and holidays. For this service, he received food and clothing. Each morning the postmaster at Norwood arranged the mail in correct order and "Uncle Jerry" began his ten mile walk covering 3100 miles per year. This created the first free rural mail delivery system. Senator Thomas E. Watson, then a young boy clerking for Hon. T. E. Massengale, observed this perfect plan for Rural Free Delivery. In February of 1893, Senator Watson, then in Congress, sponsored the bill creating Rural Free Delivery. In 1996, Norwood held a celebration commemorating the 100 years of Rural Carrier History.
Today, Norwood is the site of Georgia's first municipal drip system. Visit the Norwood Project.
Norwood City Officials
Norwood City Hall
P. O. Box 64
Norwood, GA 30821
David Harper, Mayor
Pam McCord, Clerk
Visit the City of Norwood and the Norwood Project